Monday, July 20, 2009

Eating Dogs and Durian

So's family asks me if I'm willing to try new foods. I respond that I am willing to try most things at least once as long as I don't find it too objectionable. They tell me that the restaurant across the street from the house serves dog. Though I am intrigued, (because I just have this thing where I wonder what all living things taste like, even human babies...suckling, roasted and honey glazed...mmmm soylent...I'm told that humans tastes like horse, and horses have sweet tasting flesh...I know first hand) I don't think I'll be able to face Bryanna if I ate dog. This is especially the case here because so many pets go missing because of poverty and the "pet food" industry. The family's third black and white cat has been missing for two weeks and they assume him captured and eaten, but he turns up today to prove that he hasn't met his fate in a human gullet. The day So's sister's dog went missing (never to return) she went across the street and ate some dog. I told Ramsey at least she didn't eat her own dog, and he said that she probably did. No one seems too shocked by these proceedings here. I for one will not eat any dog while in Laos, I mean, I'm gustatorily adventurous, but I don't eat people's kidnapped pets. Ethically farmed dogs would deserve consideration however.

Instead of eating dog, the family serves me up something that some people find even more disgusting, but I find absolutely intoxicating and delicious. Durian fruit - the king of fruits! It's a fruit people either love or hate. (Half of the people I know in Canada who've tried it either don't like it or think it's vile.) If you're one of the haters, it can often be so noxious in smell that you want to throw up (it's been described by some like an open sewer). It is so offensive to some people, that the government in Singapore has banned the transport of Durian fruit on public trains and buses. I for one can't relate at all because I think it both smells great and tastes great. I think that there is a gene that regulates the olfactory reception of the fruit.The reason why I say olfactory is because the people who hate the smell of it, may be able to eat it, and even like it, if they plug their noses while eating. These people got one allele of the gene, and I, luckily got the other. I, like the orangutans of Borneo, can't get enough of the stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, Korean dog-meat is farmed. Ethics-wise, I cannot comment. I did see the dogs this year; a few of them caged in a market. They are very distinctively orange.

    Still haven't tried it though...

    Durian, eh? Gotta try it fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating dog is tasty, cheap and very good for health according Cambodians. :)

    ReplyDelete