Saturday, August 8, 2009

Magic Fish Soup and Other Mood Alterations

Today is the last full day at the school. It is Saturday and most of the students have left except for San, Buapan, Jentong and Apple.

I find Sutlaw all surly in the morning.

Evidently his nickname is “Little Balls”. It's a bit weird to see an intact cat - he doesn't have as much to be surly about as the male Canadian cats.
Ramsey is giving Nick a tour of the school. I wash my running shoes and do laundry but realize there's no hope of it drying before tomorrow's 4am departure from the school site. Of course it rains almost all day.
Ramsey preparing galangal - which is a more subtle cousin of ginger.
So and the students prepare a special fish noodle soup dish that is served only during Lao weddings. This will contain some shredded banana flower which is pretty tasty, though looks like some weird luncheon meat when transected.

I go and purchase Beerlao after Apple told me that he and the three remaining female students drink beer. He said that they would all drink one, so I buy one beer (1000ml each) for everyone. This would be my contribution to the last supper together. Turns out that Apple meant that they would all drink one (small) glass, and I misunderstood. Oh, well, there's no turning back. Things begin to get funny as the students get a bit tipsy, especially Buapan...their English actually improved quite a lot with each small glass!

Then I notice a funny leaf in my fish noodle soup as I'm eating it. I pull it out...marijuana leaf?...I look at Apple, and he shrugs and laughs. Turns out he put all the marijuana that he "harvested" into the fish soup stock. I was on my second bowl of noodle soup, but I didn't feel anything...yet...knock on wood. Evidently, they use fresh cannabis as a seasoning in some dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment