Thursday, July 9, 2009

The "Dao" of the Village

In all of Laos, the richest person is a woman named Dao. She's a business woman that owns a lot of industries here. There is also a lady that has a store a little bit up the road from the school. The store is a cross between a convenience store, hardware store and cafe, that also happens to sells some groceries, live frogs and catfish.


The lady that runs the place is doing very well for herself in the village. So and I sit at the cafe portion of her establishment and get some refreshments and chips. Through So, I call her the "Dao" of the village and the owner is amused and please by this description. The "Dao" asks me if I'm married and I say no. Then she tells me that for a woman that's educated, well off and independent, it's better to be without a man because then you have your freedom to do whatever you want...to travel. She looks like a tough lady. I ask her if she's married and she says "yes". Then I ask her who is the boss in her household. She laughs and points to herself confidently. She says that to the people outside, it seems as if her husband is the boss, but in fact she is the boss.

As we relax at the cafe, I ask So to tell me her version of how she and Ramsey met. She warns me that it's a very long and weird story. I told her I had time. Two bags of chips later...well...let's just say, if you want to know all the interesting details, you will have to ask either Ramsey or So...on second thought, ask So, you'll be more assured of a response as well as a shocking plot-twist!

This year is the first full year for the school. While waiting for the Dao to serve us noodles, I also ask So what her proudest moment has been with building the school and this is what she has to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment